In an ideal situation it is prudent to reduce some possible side effects associated with injections by following some simple guidelines before treatment that can make all the difference between a fair or a great result. We realize this is not always possible; however, minimizing these risks is always desirable.
- Patient must be in good health with no active skin infections in the areas to be treated.
- Patient should not be needle phobic.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment as alcohol may thin the blood increasing the risk of bruising.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, ideally for a period of two weeks prior to treatment. Medications and supplements such as Aspirin, Vitamin E, Gingo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Vioxx, and other NSAIDS are all blood thinning and can increase the risk of bruising/swelling after injections.
- Schedule BOTOX® appointment at least two weeks prior to a special event allowing the benefits of BOTOX® to develop and the injection sites to calm and heal.